Sunday, October 9, 2011

BOROBUDUR, THE HIDDEN FOOT—02

I got a comment that the pictures were too big making the blog difficult to read. So I reduced their size. Took me some time as they kept on disappearing from where I wanted them. But here is.

That first panel, yesterday, was fairly easy to interpret, wasn't it.


The three on the right are interceding in the fight, and their reward is honour and an elevated place in the community. Anyway, that's what I make of it.
Now I'll show you a few more and ask again what you make of it. 
It is believed that most of the panels show good behaviour resulting in rewards. Some of the panels, however, appear to be illustrations without a reference to karmic law. An example of the latter is shown here.




The next panel today is definitely karmic and I would say that the depicted result is bad: a sick or dead child. But why the result, is not clear to me .What are the chaps on the right doing?   Preparing the fish, middle under the table, would not be considered good behaviour.




When the gallery containing these panels was turned into an encasement not all panels had been completed. One of these unfinished panels is shown below.







Another bad-behaviour-bad-result: fighting resulting in retribution, inflicted on the next generation. Looks to me like the group on the right are potential civilian victims; or are the two fighters on the rigt defending them?





And the last panel today… I don't have a clue apart from that it seems to be in the category do-good-receive-reward. But what is the "do-good" bit on the right? Preaching to the masses?






So, do your homework and let's hear your interpretations. Ask your friends for their opinions, and don't be lazy or timid… there are no wrong answers!

3 comments:

  1. Confusing. We should read it from right to left? I'm useless at interpreting art. But isn't the tree significant? If they're sitting cross legged under a tree isn't that like buddha?

    There's another sick kid in the fighting picture. War equals sick kids?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, reading is from LEFT to RIGHT.
    No idea whether the tree is significant. But because this is karma as seen in the context of tropical village life, sitting under a tree makes sense: shade. And yes, Buddha famously sat under the bodhi tree when he reached enlightenment (bodhi=enlightenment).
    I think that kids refer to the next generation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOPs that was completely wrong!!!

    READINBG IS FROM RIGHT TO LEFT !!!
    should be in larger font bolded and underlined but I can't find the formatting of comments.

    Don't know why I slipt up there, Sorry!

    ReplyDelete